Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The scariest thing that ever happened to me

If I can remember correctly, a time when I was
very, but very scared was when I was going to
give my very first talk in the KINGDOM HALL
of the Jehova's Witnesses. That happened when
I was about 10 years old. My talk consisted of
reading a chapter of the Bible. It sounds simple,
but man! I was scared! Why? I was afraid that
I would either lose my place or make a mistake
reading and make a fool of myself in front of the
whole congregation.
Now, since this was my first talk, I was told to start
preparing myself with a months notice. So, that very
day I began reading over it perfecting my reading,
since back then I had trouble reading. The month
slowly crept by, and the day came closer and closer.
Finally, the day came, so, I got dressed in my little
suit and tie and we were off. When we got there my
nervousness increased even more. The reunion began
so I silently reread the chapter, just to make sure. Then
after the first three introductory talks, my turn came.
My heart pounded with the loudness of 1000 booming drums,
then slowly walking to the platform I reached the podium.
Once there I gathered all my courage and began to read
in front of the whole congregation. Man! Did I read well or
what! When I finished there was silence, then as sudden as
a lion roars came the sound of applause! "Success!", I said
to myself. And ever since I have read and progressed in my
talks. Now I might get a little nervous, but not as much as
my first talk.

No comments: